2012 sees broad gains across asset classes despite market turmoil, say CAMRADATA
CAMRADATA’s first IQ report for 2012 shows an increase in assets in absolute terms across all asset classes, as evidence of long-term recovery continues to grow.
Latest figures show that, over the last three years, most equity classes have shown returns of 20 per cent or more with more managers reducing risk against their benchmarks and active managers, in particular, delivering value.
The number of investment houses featured across universes has continued to grow since Q1, 2011. In European Equity, the number has risen from 36 to 47 (31 per cent) while in US High Yield, the total increased from 17 to 25 (47 per cent). In Chinese Equity, there are now 16 houses compared to nine (78 per cent) as of Q1, 2011.
CAMRADATA Managing Director Steve Butler, says: “Broadly, there has been a bounce up in values and returns over the last three years. It’s hard to see who could be disappointed with that kind of performance. What we’re seeing is managers continuing to create wealth against the same kind of bleak, market backdrop.
“There is a more bullish attitude and a more detailed, bigger picture because of the significant increases in the size of universes on CAMRADATA IQ.”
Active managers continue to add value, with the risk against market benchmark coming down from 13.6 per cent to 6.3 per cent in European Equity, compared to Q1, 2011.
Aberdeen and Baillie Gifford posted notable results and were ranked in the top five across three asset classes, including Emerging Market Equity and Global Fixed Income. Nomura Asset Management was significantly ahead in top place in US High Yield.
- Special Reports
- How to set up a hedge fund